Thursday, 8 September 2016

This Secret We're Keeping by Rebecca Done Book Review


Author: Rebecca Done
Rating: 4/5
Genre: Romance, Drama, YA
Released: Available to purchase now

Bit of a controversial one due to the fact This Secret We're Keeping is based on a teacher having an a affair with a pupil with only a 10 year age gap. Despite that I went into the story with my eyes fully open without taking in anyone else's comments and not judging the book by its cover and I'm glad I did because I ended up absolutely and completely loving this story. I developed such a soft spot for Matthew/Will and I thought the whole story was so well written and planned out. 

It all starts off with Jess seeing Matthew all over again after not seeing him for over 17 years, from the very first page I was hooked, I actually started the first bit on Kindle just to see if I'd like it before I purchased the book (because you can read a bit of a preview) and from the first page I read on there I knew I HAD to get my hands on that book to finish it to see what happened in the end. 

The entire way through the book it switches back between POVs with it going back to the school days in Matthew's POV & back to the present time in Jess's POV. The whole plot was planned out perfectly and I loved their relationship. Going into the book you assume you're not going to be rooting for them purely on the basis that he's a teacher and she's a pupil but I did, I found myself rooting for them from the moment they started their affair. There's quite a few shocks & twists in the story as well to keep you guessing what you're about to read I did manage to guess one but the other one was such a shock I was legit sat there with my mouth open after I'd read it (you know the shocked face emoji? Yeah? That was me) I definitely didn't expect it but looking back once you know what it was its a bit like HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT?! 

The relationship between the two of them is actually really sweet, you can see (well read) how much they love each other and I just really connected with the story. There is a few characters that I found myself disliking straight off which are Zak & Sonia, Jess's current boyfriend and a colleague of Matthews back in the school days. There is swearing in this one and a few sex scenes but nothing that really bothered me at all, it was never too much or over the top. I'll definitely be reading this one again and I actually think it's now become one of my favourite books. If you like a bit of romance mixed in with a bunch of drama I'd definitely recommend this one however I must admit I did get a bit teary. Sob. 

Have you read this one? Let me know your thoughts! 

B x 
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I have got to buy this book asap! I am such a sucker for a good love story. U should start a book club here on your blog since your such a big reader. I just joined one locally where I live but a blog one could be really fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be a pretty fun idea actually! I seriously enjoyed it, it's definitely become one of my favourite books!

      Delete
  2. Oooh this definitely sounds like something I'll enjoy. Going to try and pick it up and give it a go! :) xxx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go! Let me know your thoughts when you've read it :)

      Delete
  3. Definitely going on my to buy list! Sounds like a must read. Great review xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely add it to your list, it's a must read for me! x

      Delete

© Be My Anchor. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig